Sunday, April 15, 2007

From Islamic Heritage: A Short Story

As most of us know, Islamic heritage is full of arts. Whether paintings, music, architecture, poems, stories…etc.
One of the things I pity for is that we lost contact with many nice things about our heritage.

For instance, did you know that the Islamic heritage had the first autobiography ever written? It was back in the 1100s.

Only by chance did I come across this short story. It is part of many short stories that are a way of conveying wisdom and things to think of.

The story goes:

"
A long time ago at the peak of the Islamic state, a Muslim trader was blessed with a son. He brought him up as a true Muslim teaching him all the refined manners and values Muslims should have.

When the son grew up and became a young man, the father wanted to send his son off far away to trade and learn more out of life. He gave his son some merchandise and told him to go and trade in another remote city.

The son said his goodbyes to his family and left.
Along the journey as he was passing through a forest, he saw a wounded fox. The fox could barely move about.
The young man was curious to see how this poor animal feeds since it is in such a bad condition.
After a while the young man saw a lion coming into the area with a prey in its mouth which it had just hunted down. The lion ate what it wanted and then dumped the rest and left.
The fox came along and ate what was left.


The young man dazed for a while in deep thought and then packed his stuff again and went back home to his parents without continuing his journey.

As he entered the city everyone gathered around him except the father. The son went to see his father inside the house.
As he entered the house, the father looked up at him and said :"What brings you back my son? Why didn't you continue your journey?"

The son then told the father what he saw in the forest and said:" I thought if God can provide food to such a wounded fox, for sure God can take care of me. There is no reason for me to go through that tiresome journey to trade!"

The father slowly looked towards his son, starred in his eyes and said: " No my son, this is not what I sent you out for...
I sent you out because I wanted you to become a lion. A lion that leaves things for people, not a wounded fox that takes what people leave."

He then continued:" This my son is what a true Muslim is supposed to be like!".

The End.
"

Muslim brothers and sisters, do I need to say more?!

Mood: In deep thought...

8 comments:

nesrina said...

It's wonderful, inspiring and motivating... begad thanks for sharing.

Fadfadation said...

Yes, simple yet inspiring :)

shafee2a said...

I guess we're a nation of "Foxes" till now..:S

Fadfadation said...

Seems so ya Shafee2a, lelasaf!

If at first said...

Thanks for the Monday morning reminder.
Outta curiosity, who was the writer of the first autobiography?

Fadfadation said...

He was a prince who was part of Salah El Din's Army back in the 1100s.

I don't have the book with me here. It's back home in Egypt. I wish i had it with me to give you more info. Sorry :)

Fadfadation said...

Usamah Ibn Monqiz was the name.

If at first said...

Thanks. Sorry for the late response...I seem to forget about blogger these days. Sallahudin Ayubi -- quite fitting. A story to meet the character of his leader...a lion, indeed.