This is a book by Mohammed Hassanein Hekal (famous Egyptian journalist\ex-Cheif editor of Al Ahram newspaper and was Jamal Abdel Nasser's political advisor ).
This is a MUST read for all those interested in politics. Even for those who are not, it is highly recommended to read. It will give you a wider view about all that is happening now and it's historical roots since the 1950s.
The book covers the era from 1950s till the 1967 defeat by the Israelis.
In this book, Hekal is trying to find out (through documentation) what lead to the 1967 defeat.
The good thing about Mohammad Hassanein Hekal is that he always uses documentation and proof. Not from Arab sources only, but from Foreign ones too.
There were many interesting facts in this book that I for one never knew before:
- Did you know that King Saud of Saudi Arabia during the late 50s and early 60s tried to kill Abdel Nasser via conspiracy?
- Did you know that Egypt and Syria combined to form a state called The United Arab Republic in 1958 ( I guess most of us know that)? It lasted for 3 years.
- Did you know that Saudi Arabia tried bribing the top Syrian official in Syria during the United Arab Republic era to make him do a coupe against Jamal Abdel Nasser and the new Republic?
- Did you know that Egypt, Syria, and Iraq were discussing creating an new United Arab Republic consisting of the three of them in 1962\3?
- Did you know that in Eisenhower's (American President) autobiography he stated it loud and clear that America was trying to create from King Saud of Saudi a counter Jamal Abdel Nasser? Also, to make the Saudi ruler lead the arab world as their man? Anyone noticed the polishing happening for King Abdulla Of Saudi Arabia these days (although i like the guy!)?
- Did you know that King Saud was very alarmed by the pictures (Posters) of Jamal Abdel Nasser showing all over Saudi. People in barber's shops had them hanging on their walls?
- Did you know that in 1962 at the start of the Yemeni civil war, when Egypt starting backing up the revolutionaries… 3 Saudi Air forces planes escaped Saudi and went to Egypt (not wanting to fight against Yemeni revolutionaries)?
- Did you know that the peek of the Egyptian\Saudi conflict was at the start of the Yemeni war (Saudi thought Egypt was going to do a coupe inside Saudi after they finish with Yemen)?
- Did you know that Prince Talal ibn Abdel Aziz (the father of Billionaire and tycoon Al Waleed Ibn Talal) joined Egypt against Saudi?
There are so many facts in this book that everyone must know.
As Mohammed Hassanein Hekal once said:" When we talk about political conflicts in the present, we have to recheck the story from the beginning, not only check what is happening now!".
"Fel seyasa, mato2lsh haat min el a7'er, 2ool haat min el 2awel!"
Fadfadation Book Rating: 9/10
Mood: Chilin :)