Mofeed Fawzy is a very well known journalist and programme presenter in Egypt.
One of his most famous TV programmes was "Hadeeth Al Madena" (Talk of the City).
He usually talks about interesting things that affect our society or that are the "Talk of the City".
I admire the guy's research skills (from the days of "Hadeeth Al Madena"), Although he sometimes doesn't do that good (i guess we all do that at some point).
Just yesterday i was watching "Al Qahira Al Youm" (Cairo Today) TV show and saw him with the famous Amr Adeeb (Presenter of "Al Qahira Al Youm") interviewing Max Michel (Anba Maximous) who is said to have inaugurated a new Church in Mokattam Area in Cairo.
Max Michel (A.K.A Anba Maximous)
Anba Maximous has been viciously attacked and criticized by Egyptian Orthodox Christians and accused to be many things, of them:
- An American agent that came back to Egypt after years in the USA to inaugurate a new Orthodox Church. This in turn harms the harmony of our society (per their view).
- Defying The Egyptian Orthodox Pope (Baba Shenouda).
- Permitting Divorce, this contradicts the Egyptian Orthodox faith (Per their view).
- Anba Maximous has no right to inaugurate another Orthodox Church in Egypt.
The list goes one and one...
After watching most of the interview, I have a few things to say about Mofeed Fawzy...
He was totally biased against Anba Maximous. Mofeed Fawzy of course is a Orthodox Christian and yes, he will (like) many not agree with Maximous.
But, when you (Mofeed Fawzy in this case) are a program presenter interviewing someone, you shouldn't be so biased (7a'beyha shwaya ya 3am!).
- He accused Anba Maximous with things without proof (Words like "They say... it is said").
- He Dodged direct questions that Anba Maximous asked back.
- He avoided admitting some very sound responses from the Anba.
What i found ridiculous was the last point.
The Anba said that he did not start a new church to defy the Orthodox Pope (Baba Shenoda). Among the things he said ...
- "I follow another church that is from Greece and has branches all over the world"
- "I represent one out of 37 orthodox churches worldwide... why are you people criticizing me and accusing me of dividing the Egyptian Church?"
- "I have nothing against the Egyptian Orthodox Church, just leave me in peace".
To tell you the truth, as a bystander and per my not much knowledge about things in churches, the man made sense in those points.
His point is simpley,: "I am not part of your group, why are you judging me and accusing me of being an agent...etc".
Another thing came to my mind,
Isn't it strange that the Egyptian Orthodox Church would accuse him of being an American agent?
In other words, it is accusing America of harming or wanting to harm the Egyptian Church? while that same America is the one that keeps squeezing the Egyptian government (whenever convenient for the Americans of course) to give more rights to Christians in Egypt?
Another thing, how come Mofeed Fawzy and his likes who want Egypt to be Secular and act as if they are very open minded, yet they do not want to give someone the right to believe in what HE WANTS? especially that the man admitted to be part of another Church.
To me, Mofeed Fawzy "kaan metarbes" yesterday!
It is not like the guy is wanting something forbidden! or is he? (nefsy afham)!
A Question i'd like to hear someone answer... logically that is.
Note: I am not with or against anyone, i just want to understand and had a valid question :\