Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Part 2/3: Reflections On An Outstanding Revolution… the people and the happening through the eyes of an Egyptian blogger

The Revolution that changed a People…

The most clear of examples - whom proved that my analysis about strong Patriotism being part of our psyche as Egyptians was correct - was a friend of mine “B”.

"B" (like the other's i mentioned in the previous post) wasn’t very please with life in Egypt (although never took the steps to leave).
During the height of the revolution’s 18 days with all the anti-revolution propaganda lunged at us by the state’s publications and TV channels (besides some very annoying people on facebook being so pro-Mubarak back then!!), “B” at some point said as he was viscously defending the revolution: “I never knew how much I loved my country… ba7ebek ya Masr”.
This guy not only defended the revolution from emotionally, he actually joined the revolutionaries in the streets!

The stunning inflammatory patriotism displayed by many Egyptians whom (per their saying) didn’t care or felt disconnected from Egypt before the Revolution was AMAZING to say the least.

This also brings to my mind the eruption of creative artistic illustrations and Graffiti that took over Egyptian youth (and displayed on many streets) ...
By Eng_Sam

The Guardian

Anonymous

By PressTV
 
MissRossen

If this porves something, it proves that Egyptians are quite complicated. They should never to be judged by the “norms”or “generalizations” or “pre-conceived ideas/stereo-types”.

I remember Al-Makrizi (an Egyptian historian whom lived in Egypt about 700 years ago) wrote in one of his books that Egyptians are negative people (especially, when it comes to dealing with their rulers). This point of view was widely believed (even I believed it). Especially, with our 7000 year history of being ruled by Pharoahs, and authoritarian regimes or kingdoms.

I guess this revolution utterly blew off many “generalizations” about Egyptians.

People showing their “REAL” colors…

On the other side of the coin, as much as there was a nice change in personalities (because of the revolution), there also were people whom I was totally shocked by their attitudes or opinions during and after the revolution.

Here are a few…

  • A colleague from the days of school “S” went totally BERSERK; calling pro-revolution demonstrators: “idiots, don’t understand anything, will destroy Egypt, maniacs, shallow, only see the small picture, part of a conspiracy….etc”.

  • Another colleague since the days of school “L” whom after a brief discussion about why I am so vocal on FB supporting the revolution and even joining symbolic demonstrations in the country i was in back then, gave me the silent treatment during and after the revolution. I think I was too much noise for her.

  • Another school colleague whom bluntly stated that he was pro-Mubarak and cursed the revolution. This one I totally ignored as he was acting as if Hosni Mubarak was his cousin :S

  • A distant relative “K” not only cursed the revolution and all its supporters abroad, he (seemingly) started putting FB comments undermining anything I stated on my FB wall (I noticed that as soon as I stated something, he would criticize that opinion on his wall without singling me out). Calling us (or maybe even me specifically) “shwayet 3eyal” (a bunch of kids) and “a3deen bara wee mish fahmeen 7aga” (living outside Egypt and don’t know what they are talking about”… and a few other niceties from him.

For this one and his likes (about 2 or 3 more), I actually posted this FB note/Blog "How Dare You?!!" as a responce to him and others. I think he got the message!

The status-quo (or maybe even Pro-Mubarak) supporters I despised the most…

The ones whom really got on my nerve were the selfish ones like “K” (the distant relative) above. The reason for that was their selfishness about all that is happening.

Their anger at the revolution (and hatred) was mainly driven (conclusion from their comments and literal wordings in some instances) by their feeling that the revolution disturbed their “normal” life.

This category of people lived in upscale houses in upscale areas of Cairo. Their life revolved around watching football matches, showing off their upscale life, travelling to Europe and spending their summer at the North Coast (where most of middle and high class Egyptians go to to spend summer at the beach).

In other words, these are people whom were happy with their bubble (that had nothing to do with politics, poverty...etc). The last thing they would think of is democracy, (which they truly think Egyptians do not deserve it as they are not ready for it…HE ACTUALLY SAID THAT!!), dignity, and a humane life for Egyptians as a People.

I guess their slogan would be: “I don’t care what happens to whom, just don’t disturb my bubble”.

Being negative is one thing, but being selfish and ignorant to the suffering of a whole nation is another thing I cannot take!

All I could say to such narrow minded “creatures” is: “3alaAmak yabnel #$#@!”.

By 3arabawy
Live and let live…

Having said what I did, I think that any Revolution has to find it in itself to be more noble than its predecessor regime.
I think we (as Egyptians) have to find it in ourselves (including myself) to accept the fact that there are many people whom don’t like this revolution and will continue to blame the revolution for the rest of their F…(...rrr… have to control myself here :S) life.

This revolution showed the world how cultured, organized, peaceful and innovative Egyptian people can be if they had the will for it.

I think we owe it to ourselves and to the martyrs of this revolution (May God bless them all) to raise ourselves above bickering, hatred and show other Egyptians with different points of view, that the EGYPT we revolted for can accommodate us all.

…to be continued…"What next?"